Bifidobacteria are one of the most beneficial bacteria in your gut, so finding effective ways to increase Bifidobacteria seems a smart way to help your gut.
Increase your immunity
They help keep your intestines healthy, maintain a strong immune system, and can even prevent certain cancers. So how do you increase bifidobacteria?
It seems like an easy question with so many things that we put into our bodies every day, but it’s not as simple as taking a probiotic supplement or drinking kombucha.
There are some foods that have been shown to contain high levels of bifidobacteria and therefore help to maintain its population in the gut.
Increasing the amount of Bifidobacteria in your intestines may help prevent or treat symptoms of various diseases.
Effective ways to increase Bifidobacteria
Here are a few ways you can help them grow:
- Take probiotics: Consuming Bifidobacteria probiotics can increase their numbers in your intestines and aid in achieving a healthy gut.
- Eat high-fiber foods: These beneficial bacteria can break down fiber. Therefore, foods rich in fiber, such as apples, artichokes, blueberries, almonds, and pistachios, can all help your Bifidobacteria thrive.
- Eat prebiotic foods: Not to be confused with probiotics, prebiotics is carbs that help healthy bacteria grow. Onions, garlic, bananas, and other fruit and veggies all contain prebiotics that can increase Bifidobacteria.
- Eat polyphenols: Polyphenols are plant compounds that can be broken down by your gut bacteria. Polyphenols from foods such as cocoa, green tea, and red wine all help increase Bifidobacteria in the gut.
- Eat whole grains: Whole grains such as oats and barley are very good for gut health and can help increase intestinal Bifidobacteria.
- Eat fermented foods: Fermented foods such as yogurt and kimchi contain healthy bacteria. They mainly contain Lactobacilli, but sometimes also contain Bifidobacteria, and help increase them in the gut.
- Exercise: Studies suggest that exercise may increase Bifidobacteria. Women who exercise more also tend to have more bacteria, but this can also be due to other factors, such as a healthy diet.
- Breastfeed: If you can, consider breastfeeding your baby to increase his or her Bifidobacteria. Breastfed babies tend to have more bacteria than those who are bottle-fed. This is down to bifidobacteria being passed through the breast milk to the newborn.
- Giving birth, when possible: Babies born by standard vaginal delivery have more Bifidobacteria than those born by C-section. So choosing a natural delivery method provides more benefits to the newborn.
Bifidobacteria is an important probiotic that helps to keep your gut healthy.
In order to increase bifidobacteria in the gut, it’s essential to eat a diet rich in prebiotics and consume foods high in live active cultures like yogurt or kefir.
Make sure you’re also paying attention to what types of food you are eating because some can have negative effects on your bacteria levels such as sugar-laden drinks, processed meats, and refined grains.
A quick reminder ..
Probiotics.tips aim to provide the most up-to-date information, help, and advice for YOU to make informed decisions. If you are unsure or uncertain and require more clarity, please reach out to us and we will gladly come back and advise you as best we can.
The best means to reach us is via email at email@example.com or fill out the form on our Contact Us page – click here.
Comments are closed.