Probiotics are microorganisms that are found in the gut and have been shown to help promote a healthy immune system. Probiotic supplements can be taken as a pill, or they may be found naturally in fermented foods like yogurt.
The best way to take probiotics is something you should talk with your doctor about, but it’s important to remember that not all probiotic supplements are created equal.
It’s always better if you get them from food sources rather than taking them as a supplement because this allows for more diversity of bacteria and ensures there will be enough for your body.
Probiotics can be taken in different ways
You can swallow a capsule, drink yogurt that contains probiotics in it or eat fermented foods. These three approaches are all beneficial and will help to make your stomach healthier for long-term success.
Types of probiotics:
Some people say that the best way to take probiotics is in pill form, but others believe that it should be taken as a liquid.
There are many ways of taking probiotics and there are pros and cons for each method.
Some experts suggest taking them in capsule or tablet form while others recommend using liquids like water mixed with yogurt containing live bacteria which can then be consumed through a straw.
Taking your probiotics in capsule form
If you have never handled a probiotic capsule before, it may surprise you to discover that they actually come in different shapes and sizes!
Some of the most common ones include soft gels, hard shell capsules, microencapsulated powder or liquid-filled capsules. These can be found in bottles of 50 to 400.
Benefits of taking probiotic capsules
- The ease of popping a capsule is convenient and portable. Most capsules can be opened and sprinkled into food or drinks for those who have trouble swallowing pills. Furthermore, you don’t need water to swallow them; therefore they are ideal for people prone to getting gas or bloating.
- Probiotic capsules are extremely portable and convenient to take while travelling or on the go. They’re also small enough to fit in your purse, pocket, glove box, desk drawer… almost anywhere! And since they don’t need water to dissolve, you can take them almost anywhere even without a bottle of water available.
- High concentration of good bacteria – Capsules contain a much higher amount of beneficial bacteria than probiotic powder or liquid found in yogurt or powder supplements. This is because the gelatin capsule provides an ideal environment for probiotics to grow and thrive.
- Improved absorption – Probiotics need to be protected against stomach acid in order to survive and reach the intestines alive. The gelatin capsules act as a barrier, helping probiotics get through your stomach intact and ready for your gut to use. There is new research that shows taking probiotics with food may increase their bioavailability even further.
- No refrigeration needed – Capsules usually don’t need to be refrigerated so you can take them at home, on the way to work or school, and while travelling. They’re also great if you prefer not to purchase supplements that need to be refrigerated.
- Travel-friendly option – Probiotics are sensitive and more likely to die in transit over long distances. Because capsules offer a high concentration of viable bacteria, they are the best travel option for anyone like me who travels frequently.
Cons of taking probiotic capsules
- Some people are concerned with the side effects of taking probiotics in pill form. For one, they can cause temporary bloating and discomfort as a result of gas migration from the colon into other parts of your body.
- Another downside to these products is that some studies suggest ingesting more than 100 billion colony forming units (CFU) per serving may not be necessary for most individuals; however, there hasn’t been enough research done on this topic yet so it’s difficult to confirm whether or not limiting CFUs would improve efficacy rates overall–and if you’re suffering from digestive issues such as Crohn’s disease then chances are high-quality doses like those found in HSO Probiotic Strength do make all the difference.
Taking your probiotics in powder form
One way to make sure you’re getting all of the probiotics your body needs is by taking them in powder form. You can mix these up with chocolate milk, fruit smoothies or yogurt for a refreshing and healthy breakfast that will give you all those essential vitamins too.
The main reason that many people prefer to take their probiotics in pill form is that they find the taste of powder unpleasant. However, some powders are formulated with flavours and sweeteners so you can enjoy them even if it’s not your favourite thing.
Benefits of taking probiotics in powder form
- This is another popular form of taking probiotics as it allows you to be more precise with how much you wish to take, whilst minimising waste.
- They are more portable and convenient to take on the go. You can carry them in a purse or backpack. They’re less messy than capsules (although it’s still important to prevent spilling) because they dissolve quickly, probiotics get into your system faster if you take them on an empty stomach. This is also ideal for those who don’t want to have food in their mouth.
- The probiotic powder dissolves quickly into water or any food item like yogurt (also included in the package), smoothies, etc. Once dissolved the probiotics are ready for your digestive system and start working immediately.
- By using a powder form, you’ll also be exposed to less unnecessary additives than what you may find in capsule probiotic products
Cons of taking probiotics in powder form
- Taking your probiotics in liquid form might seem like an easy solution but it’s actually hard on our digestive system because we don’t want any food passing through undigested during this time when there are so many good bacteria trying to take hold. Taking the supplements as powders means they won’t have anything else mixed into their product which helps prevent possible gut reactions from other foods or drinks being consumed at once while recovering symptoms also tend to fare better than if they were taken
- The cons of taking your probiotics in powder form are that they often have to be mixed with liquids, which can get messy and make it difficult for some people. It also takes more time than just popping a pill so you won’t feel its effects as quickly.
- Finally, powders cost significantly less but the quality isn’t always guaranteed–if the company doesn’t do well then their products could become unusable or undesirable over time while pills last longer
Taking your probiotics in tablet form
Taking your probiotics in tablet form helps to ensure that the bacteria can survive for a longer duration of time. Hardier strains such as Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus are more likely to thrive if you take them orally rather than vaginally or rectally, so it’s always good to have these on hand.
While the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet approved probiotics as a drug, it does consider them to be food supplements – meaning that they are generally considered safe for most people when used in accordance with directions on the label or package insert
Taking your probiotics in tablet form is an excellent idea because tablets offer many of the same benefits that yogurt offers but without all of those sugars and calories.
It’s important you take these medications correctly though so make sure you read up on dosage instructions before popping any into your mouth.
Benefits of taking probiotics in tablet form
- One of the benefits that make probiotics in tablet form a better choice than drinkable ones is convenience. Taking them as pills means you can take them with or without food, on an empty stomach before exercise to replenish your gut bacteria after activity (especially helpful for people who experience bloating and gas due to their medication).
- If you have trouble swallowing capsules then try crushing one up into powder form and putting it into yogurt! You’ll still get all the same fantastic health benefits from taking these live cultures but will also enjoy this delicious breakfast treat.
- The benefits of taking probiotics in tablet form are plentiful. For one, they don’t have to be refrigerated or stored at room temperature like their liquid counterparts and can last up to two years longer than other forms on the shelf.
Cons of taking probiotics in tablet form
- It can be difficult to swallow pills.
- They’re not always the most convenient form of supplements and must often be taken with meals instead of on an empty stomach, which is when probiotic benefits are maximized.
- The delivery system for tablets may also affect efficacy as some types require a higher dose than others do in order to work properly or show any clinical effects at all.
- In addition, taking too many capsules per day could result in adverse side effects like bloating and gas because it might lead you to have more bacteria strains that aren’t ones your body needs.
Taking your probiotics in chewable form
Many people might find it difficult to swallow capsules or pills, so they are more likely to take these supplements in a chewable tablet.
Many people often struggle with swallowing tablets and can’t get them down at all without feeling nauseated afterwards. This is why many brands of probiotics have created chewable tablets that dissolve quickly on the tongue for easy absorption by your body.
Benefits of taking probiotics in chewable form
- The supplement is one that can be chewed and enjoyed without worry for many people who may find swallowing large pills difficult or unpalatable.
- It also allows those on medication that has an adverse reaction to consuming certain types of foods, like dairy products, to still enjoy the benefits of taking probiotics without having any reactions.
- Chewable probiotics also provide the same benefits as traditional capsules because they’re made with high-quality strains and packed with billions of live cultures per serving which will continue to work at keeping your gut healthy.
Cons of taking probiotics in chewable form
- One of the potential cons to taking a probiotic in chewable form is that you have less control over the dosage. This means if your body needs more for its health, then chewing may not be enough to provide the necessary bacteria and supplements that are needed. You could end up getting sicker as time goes by because too many pathogens could push through without any competition from good bugs like lactobacillus or Bifidus.
- The body can only break down a certain amount of these compounds at a time, so it is possible to overload your system with too many doses at once.
- Chewables also often have sugar added for flavour which can lead to tooth decay or contribute to weight gain when not taken as directed. Some people may also experience stomach discomfort from eating too much sugar all at once. In order for probiotics to be most effective, they should be taken on an empty stomach because food slows down their absorption into the digestive tract and decreases how much reaches your intestines where they need to act.
As you can see, there are many different ways to take probiotics. All of these have their own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s a good idea to keep an open mind to what you feel will work best for you.
Sometimes this can simply be trial and error until you find something that works and is comfortable for you to take in the form mentioned above.
Probiotics are a great way of improving your gut health. There is no one best form for everyone, so it’s important to find which type works for you. We found that the most commonly used options include capsules, drinks, and powders. Some people also use yogurt with live cultures or kefir as their preferred option.
If you’re not sure what feels right for you, speak with your doctor about how they recommend taking probiotics in order to get the results you need.
A quick reminder ..
Probiotics.tips aim to provide the most up to date information, help and advice for YOU to make informed decisions. If you are unsure or uncertain and require more clarity, please reach out to us and we will gladly come back and advise you as best we can.