Discover the Best Probiotic Strains for Acne
Acne is the most common skin condition in the world, affecting more than 85% of people at some point.
There are many causes of acne and it can be hard to know how to approach this problem. Therefore, discovering the best probiotic strains for acne is essential.
The key is the right probiotic strain for your body. There are thousands of strains out there, so figuring out which one will work best for you can be tricky. That’s why we created this guide to help you make the right choice…
Advancements in oral probiotic skincare
The use of probiotics for skincare has been a developing trend in recent years, with some dermatologists suggesting that the consumption of certain strains can help to reduce the effect of acne or eczema.
There are many different theories as to why this is so, but most believe it’s due to an increased level of good bacteria which reduces inflammation and therefore prevents breakouts by clearing dead skin cells from pores.
It’s believed that supplements containing Lactobacillus acidophilus have had success in treating eczema by lowering levels of toxins in the blood. It also helps regulate immune responses and reduce allergy-induced inflammation.
But not all probiotic formulas are created equal, so it’s important to do your research before you buy.
“I use probiotics in my practice for many different skin conditions, including acne vulgaris,” says Dr Elizabeth Tanzi, co-director of Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery and an assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the George Washington University Medical Center. “There are hundreds on the market, though, so it’s hard to know which ones really work.”Dr Elizabeth Tanzi, LinkedIn Profile
Which strains should you avoid?
While most supplements are beneficial, there are a few strains of bacteria that can do more harm than good. For example, studies have shown that Bifidobacterium infantis may actually contribute to acne when ingested by teenagers, and lactobacillus Plantarum has been found to worsen eczema in children and adults.
“This antioxidant combination speeds cell turnover, promotes collagen production, and reduces inflammation, all of which can improve the appearance of acne,” says Dr. Tanzi. “It will also help with signs of aging.”
Which strain of probiotics is best for treating acne?
There are many benefits of probiotics for skincare. One is the reduction in acne or eczema symptoms. There are different strains of probiotics, so which one is best to treat your specific skin condition?
The answer depends on what type of bacteria you need more of and how much support that strain needs in order to thrive in your gut. For example, if you have an overgrowth of bad bacteria like H pylori then the right probiotic may be Lactobacillus acidophilus which can help re-establish a healthy balance by decreasing stomach acidity.
However, if you suffer from chronic inflammation due to autoimmune diseases (such as Crohn’s), then Bifidobacterium longum may be needed as it increases antioxidant levels and decreases inflammation.
Some people need to take additional steps such as clearing the gut of potential pathogens (that bad bacteria) before adding in these helpful strains. There is no one-size-fits-all answer, so your certified health professional can help you figure out what strain and how much is right for you.
Recommended probiotic strains for acne
The best probiotic strains that help your acne condition are Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. You can get these from probiotic tablets/capsules, drinks, or even by eating more live-cultured fermented foods such as sauerkraut and kimchi.
Another good option is DrFormulas Cystic Acne Treatment Pills which contain Zinc, probiotics, and Fish Oil, which has recently been shown to significantly reduce acne after a two-month period.
Aside from the obvious benefit of preventing acne, there are studies that show taking topical probiotics can also help with other health conditions. “There are many different strains of good bacteria,” says Dr. Tanzi. “And they’re all important in keeping us healthy.” So if you’ve been thinking about adding a supplement to your daily skincare routine, it might be worth your while to do some research and invest in a good formula.
“Probiotics also contain antioxidants and polyphenols which help to detoxify the body of harmful free radicals,” says nutritionist Dr Lisa Moskovitz. “They promote heart health, lower cholesterol, fight cancer and prevent chronic conditions, including type 2 diabetes.”Dr Lisa Moskovitz, Linkedin Profile
DrFormulas Cystic Acne Treatment Pills
- PROBIOTICS: Some experts believe that a cause of acne is an unbalanced probiotic population in the gut microbiome, which can cause a response of inflammation in the skin microbiome. Nexabiotic Probiotics by DrFormulas contain 23 different probiotics. These probiotics help restore digestive balance, boost your immune system and boost skin health so that you can fight acne from the inside out. Nexabiotic Probiotics by DrFormulas can help restore digestive balance, and boost your immune system & skin health.
- TURMERIC: Turmeric supplement pills are packed with anti-inflammatory benefits and antioxidants that help reduce inflammation on the skin.
- FISH OIL: Fish Oil is high in a substance called omega-3 fatty acid, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects. A recent study showed that acne sufferers who took omega-3 fatty acid for two months ended up seeing a significant reduction in body & back pimples & cystic acne & scars.
- DIM — or diindolylmethane — is a supplement that is commonly taken to help treat acne. DIM is found in cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and more. Experts believe that DIM could help people who suffer from acne, because it helps with hormonal balance, and it may be able to stop excess oil production.
- ZINC: Studies show that people with acne tend to have a zinc deficiency and zinc supplementation may reduce acne by up to 50 percent.
A quick reminder ..
Probiotics.tips aim to provide the most up-to-date information, help, and advice for YOU to make informed decisions. If you are unsure or uncertain and require more clarity, please reach out to us and we will gladly come back and advise you as best we can.
Our goal is to empower you with concise probiotic guidance for a healthier gut. With expert advice, we provide the knowledge to improve your well-being and navigate the world of probiotics efficiently, ensuring you achieve optimal gut health.
- The Connection Between Stress, Gut Health, and Vaginal Microbiome
- Probiotics and Their Connection to Sexual Health: Boosting Bedroom Bliss
- How a Healthy Gut Can Boost Your Sex Life
- The Microbiome of Love – How Probiotics Boost Sexual Wellness
- Unlocking The Secrets of Probiotics for Enhanced Sexual Health
As an affiliate, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.